View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #27
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Smoke from oil cap?

The design of the crankcase draft system on the 8BA is a lot better than the 59X and earlier style of engines - by a long shot. BUT - many of us don't like to run a stock 8BA oil draft system - due to the location and look of the stock tubes (they are ugly and can be a real pain to install on many modified engine).

The 8BA system should not be spitting out much oil - but it will always drip some (as will any system of this design). Oil vapors have oil in them - this will collect on the inside of any draft tube that exits to the bottom of the engine . . . and it will drip.

The 59X and earlier road-draft systems will drip a lot more oil . . . and given the oil pan vent location, it all runs down the oil pan and can make quite a mess on your garage floor and the underside of your car. If you're running a stock 59x road-draft system, you either learn to live with it (and buy one of those larger oil drip pans made for your garage), or you can decide to modernize and switch over to a PCV. I tend to live with it . . . but I also clean the underside of my engine quite often.

Just some opinions here . . .
B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote