View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #49
JCAllison

Default Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Sounds like you had a much more productive morning than I did.
Hey Mr. D,
After a night's sleep, I have about a four hour Energy&Focus life. That's all right, considering that at this time of year, about four hours is all it takes to get TOO HOT to be out after the sun rises.
Quote:
When you're feeling better there's another connection that sometimes likes attention, the starter end of the heavy cable down from the starter solenoid.
It was less than a couple of weeks ago that THAT Connection was dealt with. Had some time ago, fabricated a Heat Shield between the Starboard Cast Iron Shorty Header, and the Starter. Putting Ms. American up on the Ramps, and going under her head first, it was found that reaching the Starter Terminal was nearly impossible, but just barely do-able. BUT there was a problem. Couldn't get enough stroke in the Space between the Block and the Header to get another grip on the Nut. I agonized over that for quite a while. But then it occurred to me that if I went under the old Gal FEET FIRST, AND with a SHORT/SHORT Wrench, that I might be able to tighten that Nut.

So the next time that were out and about, when we got home, up on the ramps she went, and was left to cool overnight. Crawled under FEET FIRST, and with the Short Wrench was able to not only REACH the NUT, but was able to really tighten it down.

Just doing THAT made a world of difference, but still the Starter was kind of WIMPY. There is a NEW Starter and Starter Cable here on the Shelf, but I have serious doubts that I'm able to install it.

Then Mr. Kultulz mentioned that I was going to have problems with him if I didn't treat Ms. American better. Well, not wanting to have problems with Mr. K., I decided today to go out and spiff up ALL the connections.

WONDER of WONDERS, the improvement was MIRACULOUS! It's amazing what being threatened by Mr. K. can accomplish!

Before, even with the Starter Terminal tightened, when Keying the Starter, it would grab... hesitate... turn a little... the begin a kind of anemic cranking, and would eventually catch, and start.

Today after all that was done, the Keying of the Starter produced a STRONG CRANK, and everything is copacetic.
Quote:
My son's first car (Ford) developed a problem with the starter, it only worked 'most' of the time.
I know the feeling.
Quote:
I found the nut holding the large cable lug onto the starter stud was slightly loose and it would arc a bit. The weak connection would occasionally break, until it re-welded itself.
When I went in Feet First, I got a little more than a quarter turn on the NUT. It's amazing how that affects an electrical circuit.
Quote:
Filed all the crud off and added a (missing?) flat and lock washer to hold the nut tight on the lug & starter stud.
YES!
Quote:
That other cable might have been a Ground cable for the body of the car, with all its lights and accessories. Eventually cleaning the other end of it would be a good thing too.
Actually, the Body Ground Cable is back at the Firewall. And it is almost BRAND NEW. A Braided Cable.

I think the other Cable is from some part of the PerTronix Ignition System, but that is just a suspicion.

Started Ms. American's 3.14 twice today after doing the cleaning and Dielectric-izing of the Connections, and both times, there was just an INSTANT STRONG CRANK. No more hesitation, or anemic wimpiness.

In all the years that Ms. American has lived with me (that was on June 6, 1985), today was the BEST she has EVER started. That has been kind of a trend that has been happening with each thing that has been done, even going back to the installation of the Mustangs Etc. Manual Choke, which worked wonders.

At this point in time, there are two things that NEED doing, but that will probably not get done by ME. One is a NEW Exhaust System. The other is a NEW Pilot Bearing/Bushing in the Flywheel. But who knows? Everything happens when it's supposed to happen.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Hope you're having a GREAT weekend.

JC
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
JCAllison is offline   Reply With Quote