View Single Post
Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #18

Default Re: A bit of nostalgia........

In 1950,when I was 15,I worked at an Atlantic gas station in Glenside Pa. Gas was 24.9, Zerone antifreeze was 40c a quart and so was engine oil. Almost everyone wanted 5 gallons ($1.25). I remember a short-lived gas war when the price dropped as low as 13.9. I worked on Saturdays only - because of school. And only in the winter because I had a summer job in Silverton NJ. It was busy at the gas station and I did lube jobs and oil changes, washed cars, fixed flats, did some mechanical work and pumped lots of gas . In the winter, washing cars was no fun and I was constantly interrupted to run out to pump gas. Remember how gas used to fly out of the fill pipe even when the tank was only partially full? This was especially hard to take with the usual cracked, bloody hands. Some cars had whistle devices so that you got some warning when it was coming at you. Imagine how this would go over with the self-service stations of today! The car companies did a good job of fixing that little problem. Oh and we cleaned windows, checked oil and brake fluid, checked tire pressure and batteries all for free!