View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 02:12 PM   #10
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Re: 3 on the tree t56 gear box r10 0d problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclevinny View Post
yes i start it and try it with the linkage off and manually shift it with just the tranny lever i try it with linkage hooked up and all the same results reverse if off the floor but not when i set it down 1st second and high work fine though the od lever has been pulled out several times and when i use od position like pushed in and selinod is activated to od i try reverse very slightly and it reacts properly like trys to lock up so i fuss with that and it comes loose so i just cant figure it out !!
When you tested this out in the air, did you hot wire the solenoid to bypass the governor so it would engage? If it's wired correctly, the governor will ground the lead to the relay at 27 mph (roughly), when the relay kicks in, it will send full juice to your solenoid which engages the pawl and voila! overdrive!

Unhook your terminals at the solenoid, do a physical check of the arm on the tail shaft that engages/disengages the arm rail and push the top of the lever FORWARD to lock out OD. Start the car and shift to reverse while in the air to make sure it goes into that gear and that the rear wheels turn. Drop the car and do the same test.

The only other issue I "think" you are expressing has to do with the linkage arms up to the steering column. Are these adjusted correctly? there is a procedure in both the 55 and 56 shop manuals about how to set the transmission levers both to neutral, adjust the shift rods for proper length (the rods that go to the steering column), and check for shifting into gear.

I have just now got my 3 speed with Borg Warner OD squared away on my 55 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan. There is a lot of help for you here if you want to search through my pictures and videos...

https://www.hotrodreverend.com/in-pr.../Borg%20Warner

My transmission is a side loader but has the same tail shaft as your T86.

EDIT: maybe I am reading this all wrong...lol, are you saying you can shift INTO reverse but the wheels don't turn/power doesn't go through transmission?