View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #178
frenchy dehoux

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Grease Question

When we rebuilt the LZ’s transmission, I installed an NOS U joint and new gaskets. I packed the U joint with Corn Head grease and, after assembly I pumped more grease into the housing. Everything is working well except that after driving the car and letting it sit overnight, I’m finding little Corn Head “gifts” on the garage floor. I’ve driven the LZ about 500 miles and the other day, after finding more grease on the floor; I pumped almost a full tube of Corn Head grease into the housing. This grease is “low Temp” so that it lubricates the U joint instead of just coating the interior of the housing through centrifugal force. I have not been able to identify the area that the grease is leaking from and I’m wondering if packing the U joint will just become another part of normal maintenance only on a more frequent basis… Have any of you had a similar experience using Corn Head Grease
Vic

After I have driven my Hot Rod Lincoln a few miles I have noticed a small amount of grease / oil on the floor coming directly from the clam shell where the grease is put in at the fitting somehow it must be the cork strips that you install in the the half clam shell it must be bypassing the seal and leaking out just a small amount nothing to worry. I have the 39 Zephyr transmission in my car. See a picture of the clam shell below also the movement of the enclosed drive tube up and down passing by between the clam shell and the tube.

Thanks
Frenchy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 8.jpg (71.2 KB, 126 views)
frenchy dehoux is offline   Reply With Quote