Thread: Pearl Harbor
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #36
Don S.

Default Re: Pearl Harbor

Hi All, I just got the opportunity to do some catching up here on the Barn. I asked my 84yr old mother the other what day it was. Her mind isn’t so sharp anymore. When I told her it was Pearl Harbor day she got very emotional. She told me how one of her Uncles ( my great Uncle) was at Pearl Harbor the day of the attack. She said he survived but was never the same as the man they all knew. When he returned home his life/family I guess just fell apart. This was PTSD before it became something recognized. The young man in the pic is another great Uncle from the same family. He was killed in action in Burma in June 1944, just a few weeks after he turned 20. He/his remains have never came home. It hurts to know that this young man is most likely still in Northern Burma instead of Home. His family never knew what had happened to him, just that he was listed as KIA. It wasn’t until within the last year we learned he was one of Merrill’s Marauders in Burma. These people made such great sacrifices for us. I have and will always have nothing but the greatest respect for all of our Armed Forces, past, present and future. Don.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16A4F4B2-5D26-42EF-8CEF-4B3281CFDA67.jpg (48.4 KB, 38 views)
Don S. is offline   Reply With Quote