View Single Post
Old 08-25-2020, 10:08 PM   #8
700rpm

Default Re: Model "A" Ford Clubs

I have been a member of MAFCA and the Beaver Chapter since 1961, except for 1977-78 (personal upheaval). But this year is my last for both. Why? Because after 59 yrs in the hobby, I have experienced everything I need or ever wanted to experience.

I don’t know everything there is to know about A’s, but I know what I need to know to keep my cars running, and I know the right people to ask if I get in a jam. I am past the age of acquiring more things; certainly any more cars and Model A parts. The Restorer is a good magazine, but again, after 59 years it’s a little redundant.

As for the Beaver Chapter, most of my friends there have retired, dropped out, or passed away, and when I go to meetings I hardly know anyone, and mostly have nothing to contribute any more. Ergo, why go? The Beaver Chapter itself is still strong and full of good people and when C-19 subsides it will return to being one of the best chapters in MAFCA. But at 75, I think I have just aged out of the hobby.

That’s my story, but it may exemplify what is happening with other people in other clubs. Not a loss of interest in a club or the cars, but just too old or ill or whatever to give what it takes to be a viable club member. Enough of that, and the club closes down.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 08-25-2020 at 10:23 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote