Thread: 35 transmission
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: 35 transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
"The 32 thru 35 have the angled tower than is set more forward than the later cars. This would affect the floor but a lot of folks have changed them over for the later stuff too. Some have even grafted a 91A fork on to the earlier type fork shaft to get the late type gears and keep the tower but I've never attempted that modification. It would likely require cutting and welding of parts. That's kind of scary when the gears are all rotating underneath if something breaks above them"
I recently did just about what you described above, except someone else made those special forks for me, for both 2nd/3rd and 1st/reverse. The fork parts and pieces necessary to do this were all very nicely done and professionally Tig welded together. I have no more concern about these failing then I would an original set of 39 forks. These modified forks fit right into a stock '35 slanted back shift tower, and shift all gears into the correct position, just as a stock '39 straight up shift tower with the correct stock folks would have done on my '35 case, with a set of'46 to '48 gears installed. This transmission now shifts like a dream as compared to the way it use to shift, plus it no longer jumps out of 2nd gear as it had previously done since purchasing this car in 2007.
Last month I drove this car from Maryland to Auburn Indiana, did about 400 miles of touring while in Indiana, then drove back home, for a total of just a little over 1400 miles. No problems whatsoever with shifting during this entire trip.
I'm now planning to do this same conversion on two of my other 35's.

Note: My friend who made these forks has asked me not to reveal his name and/or location, as he is not interested in making these commercially, or otherwise.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-15-2019 at 04:55 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote