View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #13
wingski

Default Re: getting doors to fit correctly

Ok, I’ve removed the passenger’s door panel and took the screws out of that diagonal metal strap. You would think that that door would easily twist so the back lower edge wouldn’t stick out away from the body. Wrong! That door is just not that flexible. Even when I push in on that back corner, there is a lot of resistance. It will push in far enough so everything lines up, and it looks great until I reless the pressure. Then, it comes right back out. There is so much pressure trying to straighten that lower corner back out that I can’t imagine how repositioning those scews on that diagonal strap is going to hold.

If that strap went all the way from the top front corner to the back rear corner of the door, it might be able to do the job. However, that strap connects to the front of the door a good three inches below where that middle door hinge is. I’m thinking about getting some real thin braided aircraft cable and running a two strand loop from the top front corner to the bottom rear corner. Then, I can use a small flat piece of metal to twist that cable and tighten it.

The only problem I’m having is figuring out where to attach each end of the cable. I’m afraid that just looping the ends around wood screws and tightening them won’t cut it. I’m pretty sure the wood screws would pull out.

Any ideas?

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote