View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 02:54 PM   #11
wingski

Default Re: getting doors to fit correctly

Hi Don, thanks for the advice. My doors have a wood diagonal strap in place of a metal one, and I don’t think the screws in the wood strap would hold a new door curvature. However, I do have some flat metal stock around so I could make new straps. I am pretty sure that will fix the door alignment.

Like I said before, my ’29 is basically a prototype for the cabriolets that came after it. I’ve compared diagrams of the wood in the doors in later cabriolets to mine and mine has more wood than a ’30 or ’31. All my wood looks original and like I said has a wood diagonal strap. I’m sure it didn’t take Henry very long before he realized that a wood strap wouldn’t hold those doors in alignment and replaced it with metal.

That’s the fun thing or not about this ’29, it is a first. There were so many ideas tried out on this car that would prove to be inadequate or just plane wrong. Add in the fact that it is Canadian and you have a real puzzle.

I love puzzles, but I don’t like them when one of the original pieces is not quite right. I’m running into that fairly often with this car. This cabriolet is not like any car I’ve ever had before, and it is mind-boggling. However, it is also a challenge, and I love challenges.

Thanks again,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote