View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
Tinbasher

Default Re: Windshield gasket replacement

I always use a little Lacquer Thinners brushed onto both sides of the glass. Do this two or three times, two or three days before you want to take the frame apart. Then I use a hardwood block about 3" square and 1 1/2" high place it against the frame and hammer the frame off off the glass. I use a 4oz body hammer and just slide it along the glass to hit the block. Gently work your way around the frame and it will come of nicely with out distorting the frame or breaking the glass. It the glass is really stuck I'll run a razor knife between the frame and the glass to break the glass free. I've done it this way for 40 years, seems to work. Just go easy. JP Having re-read your question it looks like you want to replace the outer seals. With that again use the Lacquer Thinners on both side of the rubber seal and then use a small flat screwdriver that will fit into the channel and take out about 1" of the seal at a time. Just tap on the screwdriver lightly. If you have to you can open up the channels a little bit to get the rubber moving.

Last edited by Tinbasher; 07-01-2019 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Second thoughts
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote