View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #93
wensum

Default Re: How To Lower The Model A The Old Fashion Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGrumpy View Post
First of all, I want to thank LeroyM for this thread. It was instrumental in the dropping of my '29 Tudor.
I wanted to do a late 30's/early 40's style "banger build" with my '29 Tudor. The idea being that I would use what would have been available in that era and still maintain the mechanical brakes. Whether someone was doing dropped axles, back then, I have no idea. I have been unable to find any info on it if there was. So here's what I did...

I was able to find and purchase a n.o.s. 1935 front axle, out of Minnesota. I found a nice pair of '32 front spindles as well as a new pair of '32 front spring perches. I then bought a new set of Model A king pins and spring shackles. I was able to find a trailer parts store in Missouri that sold the proper size spring bushings, 9/16 i.d. x 3/4" o.d. x 1 3/4" long. I reused my Model A brake actuators, backing plates and brakes. I had already installed a reverse eye main leaf and removed #2, #3 & #4 leaf's when I put on the 6:00x16's Firestone bia's ply tires but like LeroyM, I wanted it lower.

So, there it is! I love the stance and it rides and handles great. Thanks again, LeroyM, for all the information.

I'm curious about caster? Some hot rodders and Model A owners are putting a 2" block under their bell housing to increase caster and this makes for very steady driving on motorways etc., However, if you lower the front of the car to improve its stance, then it will have the effect of reducing the caster, this in turn should affect the cars directional stability?
Anybody had this experience?
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote