View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
lake_harley

Default Re: question. simple starter motor conversion to 12v

I'm totally new to Model As, in fact I finally drove the '31 Coupe I bought last Summer for the first time today. I promised myself to finish a number of other started projects before I would do anything on the A. I'm now at 2.1 miles and counting.

It might be considered heresy that my plans are to do some hot rod type things like might have been done in the 40's or 50's but I'll give it a go anyway. I plan to retain the stock engine with mild mods and drive the car as much as possible so I want bright lights and reliability.

Since my question is starter related I thought I'd ask it here rather than starting another thread. I'm considering converting the car to 12V (I know - not 40's stuff) and since it is an older "survivor" car I'd plan to rewire everything on the car. While changing the starter to 12V, is there any big deal to convert to negative ground while I have it at my local starter/generator shop? I was afraid I messed up something today when I was getting the car started. I absent-mindedly hooked a 6V battery charger up as if it was negative ground. I finally realized my error and hooked it up correctly. With that little deal it made me think it would be nice to have it 12V negative ground just like everything else I own.

Thanks, in advance. Next I'll be asking about leaks that appear to be coming from both the front and back crankshaft seals.

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote