View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 10:22 PM   #5
Synchro909

Default Re: question. simple starter motor conversion to 12v

I once bought a set of those 12v coils. Never again. I convert using the original ones. It is as simple as rearranging them so that they are all in series rather than two sets of two in series each connected in parallel. That’s not easy to put in words but I hope you get it. This gives a field coil resistance 4 times what it was and reduces the power and torque to about the equivalent of running the in modified stater on 8 or 9 volts, I estimate.
Another way is to reduce the voltage getting to the starter. I’ve seen this done a number of ways including using a Bendigo spring in the +ve cable (I assume you converted to negative earth). Another way is to go to a wrecker and find a set of leads from a really small car - the ones that are not much thicker than a pencil. The longer the better. The small cables have a higher resistance and will cause a voltage drop, making life easier on the starter. There are several ways to go - these are just a couple for you to consider.
PS. Have you collected that gearbox yet? All Good?