View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
DHZIEMAN

Default Re: Burning Out Ignition Coils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
So in words that fit my experience, excessive resistance to the ignition coil's output voltage, due to the missing carbon button on the distributor cap, made the coil's voltage rise to the point it burned through the coils internal epoxy insulation and suffered a short circuit.

The epoxy insulation inside of the coil failed when the coil's output exceeded 35,000 volts. When this happened, the coil's output voltage dropped causing ignition misfire when the engine was under load, and eventually the coil's hi-voltage output ceased.

To me, this explains what took place in my Model "A."
A big Yup! High voltage of a coil or any device putting out high voltage, more so, requires the load resistance of the plug wiring, the distributor rotor air gap to the distributor cap and then the gap of the plugs to load the coil with a gap resistance to hold the spark to a reasonable given value. The more gap, the higher the voltage allowed and when the voltage over and extended period is allowed, the coil insulation materials tend to break down. And with High voltage, once something starts being a gap and a place for voltage to cause burning or allowing non wanted gaps to get wider and wider, the output voltage of the coil keeps going up and up and then the damage occurs!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote