View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
Marcus

Default Re: Are Mustangs still collectible?

Seth - the answer to your question has several facets: as others have pointed out, and you surmised, the market is somewhat soft right now - and not just for "collectibles." In particular the Mustang world is filled with "Mustang nuts" (I am one, having "cut my teeth on Mustangs" and campaigned a blown '67 fastback for years) who are constantly buying and selling. The selling market is hot, for the right car and buyer, just exactly as is the EV8 and the A Model. For the average, run of the mill car, the prices are much lower but when the car and buyer match expect to pay a premium. Couple cases in point: I sold a 1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible last year, totally rust free and a very nice cosmetic refresh for $15K. It was EXACTLY what the lady was looking for, and her husband (also a Mustang nut) was only too happy to write the check. My current, nearly finished project, is a '68 Mustang Convertible, GT Clone, that is also totally rust free, and I have a standing offer of $25K. Finally, as you know, I own the Truckstang, the only Fox-bodied Mustang Pickup in existence. My custom built Mustang just completed an 8-month tour in the Mustang Owners Museum in Concord, NC to rave reviews and a number of offers (nope - staying in my collection)!
All this to say that the market is soft in some cases, not so in others. My '31 Slantwindow went to a collector in South Mississippi for $18,500, but it was an excellent example. My '29 Tudor, also excellent, sold for $11,000 and I was happy to get that much! You are correct concerning motivation: that is always a determining factor! Not throwing them out with the trash - enjoying the restoration and reselling too much.........and besides, this way Margretha always knows where I am.....grin!
Best wishes to you and the ladies of your household!