View Single Post
Old 10-01-2015, 05:48 AM   #15
Mr 42

Default Re: ID Columbia Axle Part one

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
I may be wrong, have been before; As I recall only the '47-48 models had the "panhard" (sway-bar) mount incorporated into the right side axle assembly housing.
The '42-48 has an axle width that is 2" wider than the '35-41, that is only an additional 1" on each side. For the life of me I can't see the value in cutting axle housings, etc., down to loose an each per side, especially on a fenderless car that is most-likely going to have oversize tires.
I upgraded my '36 Ford from a '36 Columbia to a '47-48 unit in 1955.. I used the Columbia assembly on the '36 center section w/'36 drive-line, '37 radius bars. The whole thing bolted together like it came from the factor. I have never had any issues with the Columbia in over sixty years of driving..
I can see where you comming from, i think between 32-34 its 2" per side.
Anyway i will use 33-34 center and 33-34 left axel housing, so i will get a "original" look alike axle.

I have managed to get a "spare" 33-34 axle that i will use for mockup and to convert the right axle housing. A a fresh pricelist from Mr columbia. So maybe next year i can cruise in high gear.
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote