View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
36tbird

Default Re: Oil pan removal in a 1936 pickup

You might want to order a pan gasket from a Best Gasket supplier for when you go back together. Their pan gasket is new material, not the old cork that Ford used. Clean the rails of the block where the pan bolts up and remove the gasket cork that goes around rear main. I used some hi-tack gasket cement to glue the gasket to the block, keep the other side that goes to the pan clean. Then install the new cork gasket strip on the rear main. You do this in that order because the cork goes over little tabs in the pan gasket. You'll understand when you see it. I use one piece front gaskets so I am not a 100% sure about the front rope gasket. I think the procedure is to soak them in oil for a day before you stick them in place.

Here's the part that might generate controversy here. I am borrowing a suggestion from the guys who re-use their intake manifold gaskets by just using grease on them to seal. I'm working on an engine right now where I have had to drop the pan to get to the oil pump and may have to again if the pump is not the problem. So after gluing down the pan gasket to the block, I am using grease on the gasket side that goes to the pan. In this way, if I have to drop the pan again, I think the pan gasket will stay intact. I tried this already and ran the engine. There were no leaks. Guess what, I think the oil pump I used is crap, so I will indeed be dropping the pan again. At that time I will learn if my theory of grease on one side of the gasket works OK.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote