View Single Post
Old 02-29-2020, 10:27 PM   #20
Joe K

Default Re: Battery connector corroding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Jack View Post
Joe K, you seem to be very knowledgeable about electrolytic activity, corrosion, conductivity & resistivity and I was wondering wouldn't filling the battery cells too high also add to the post corrosion problem?
Anything above the plates is electrolytic inert. No purpose to battery charging, capacity or discharge.

That said, batteries (particularly in the Model A regulated or unregulated) can "hydrolyze" the water in them (over charging causes the water to disassociate and create hydrogen and oxygen which is why battery caps have "breather holes" - to let the pressure out) with a consequent lowering of electrolyte level.

So you either want to carry your level low and check level frequently lest it go below the plates (this is not fatal to a battery but it does cut into its capacity) or keep a modest surplus and check less frequently.

How much surplus is a good question. How often do you check?

As to level being high causing corrosion - corrosion is caused by the electrolyte being "thrown" as a mist by those hydrogen/oxygen bubbles on overcharging. Don't overcharge - no bubbles - or very few anyway.

A greater space above the water line gives the mist some "residence time" to drift back down and recombine with the water level - a "liberation zone" certainly. So to answer the question - keeping the level down SHOULD reduce the mist which escapes from those vent holes. And yes, a high level will tend to move mist outside the battery case causing corrosion.

Many battery vendors now include "recombining" caps with some sort of chemical to grab and re-associate the hydrogen and oxygen and limit discharge to outside. This is a spin-off of the AGM/Gel technology which attempts to limit how much gas/mist a battery creates. These technically should help with corrosion. I think these caps can be bought separately - although I have never used them.

I hope this helps. I'm not a fan of AGM/Gel batteries. Its nice to actually see and appreciate and be able to test with a hydrometer what exactly is going on in your battery - which "Maintenance Free" batteries true to their name are designed to prevent.

Joe K