View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
Kube

Default Re: 36 left door alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce/CT View Post
Hi Barners,
HELP!
I am stumped and humbly asking for advise. I am putting my 1936 Club Cabriolet back together and I have run into a roadblock. The Drivers side sub-rail and floor pan were replaced after I boxed in the cabin BUT now I have a door alignment problem.

The Drivers door horizontal reveal at the front and rear align nicely. The space between the cowl and door front is an even 1/8 inch vertically. The rear has a 3/4 inch gap at the top and a 1/4 inch gap at the bottom. How can I make this straight?.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I can try sending photos to your e-mail, if requested
Thank you in advance, Bruce/CT
My gosh, I hope the 3/4" is a typo and it is 3/8".
3/4" is huge. makes me wonder... did you install the doors and align everything before welding in the floor / sub-rail?

If it is in fact 3/8"at the bottom and 1/4" at the top, shimming will do the trick to make the gap even vertically. Once that gap has been corrected, I'd suggest you either shim the hinges a bit to equalize the horizontal gap at the front and rear. If that's not possible on a cabriolet, then bending the hinges is the solution.