View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #15
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Fun Projects Regulator - To Fuse Or Not To Fuse-The Great Debate

I think they were referencing when there are higher rpms, enough voltage/current from the generator can run the ignition.

If the fuse is blown the battery is not connected the generator no longer has the battery to keep the voltage regulated. The generator outputs its max. 40 volts or so and damage to things happen.

My question is if the EVR models prevent this runaway generator voltage issue, if the fuse opens when the motor is running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
The original purpose of the battery fuse was to prevent the battery from discharging through the generator if the cutout contacts shorted together due to age and pitting. An EVR has no mechanical contacts to short out, but it's a good idea to retain the fuse/breaker in case of some other short-to-ground on the hot wire. If the fuse opens while the engine is idling it will likely die; the gen. won't produce enough power below a certain rpm. Otherwise an EVR should maintain a constant output voltage of 7.2V. It should also shut down and disconnect the generator if it senses current above 12 amperes or so.

As for a blown fuse causing damage, I don't know how it could, but I haven't read the article.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote