View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #80
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Making Wood Plans available

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1928 View Post
Fear not guys there are 3D prints doing a wood products that looks like wood drills screws and glues like wood in almost every way
Only way I can tell it is fake wood is the smell and it is water proof
only a matter of time before it gets to our hobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyv8 View Post
Sounds like mana from heaven.
Is wood work judged in concourse events???
The only issue that I know of that needs to be worked thru with the composites is the "elasticity" of product as compared to the wood. These composites seem to work well as long as twisting or vibrations are not being subjected ....and we all know how much constant twisting and vibration these bodies are subjected to. Very likely they will get engineer this issue away in the future.

With that said, the two root problems still comes back to the time it will take to fabricate a piece and the very limited quantity that would be made at one time. I guess it is just like Model-A gas tanks. The technology to manufacture dies has never been as easy as now, -and the availability to manufacture them off-shore has never been as cheap as it is yet it is still not financially feasible to manufacture Model-A gas tanks. I suspect it never will be financially feasible to fabricate Model-A wood in automated methods either.

Eric, I wanna go back and address your earlier comment. I think there are hobbyists out there who you never hear about who have the ability to use the existing wood for patterns, and they have the skills & tooling to manufacture wood. These guys are perfectly comfortable with what they have and really don't need patterns. When you get outside of that type hobbyist, I am not sure who would purchase a set of plans but my thoughts are you will sell some for guys that have a strong desire but in reality do not have the tooling nor the skill to pull it off (...and likely if they did, they would be in the first group above and really not need them).

So it basically boils down to what is the value of a set of plans? A detailed set of plans for a Fordor or a Vic would probably be worth $1,000.00. Would someone pay it? A few may, but then think about how easy it would be (if you had nothing) to purchase a wood kit from a vendor to template from, then make your own and resell your kit at 90% of what you initially paid for it. Kinda like having a set of 3D plans. So my take on the whole project is offering plans really is not worth the reward.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote