View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 07:31 PM   #250
Dave in MN

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

I ran some costs out to compare the cost of the new Burtz assembly to a good condition B block.
I recently had a failure on a B block/engine that required I start over. I searched for some time to find a B block that was crack free and where the cylinders would clean up to allow for the use of .060" oversize pistons without sleeves. That block cost me $500.

When I started with this $500 B block and added what it took to approximately equal the Burtz assembly. The cost was between $1500 - $1700 higher to use the Burtz block. Granted, I have parts I can switch over from the failed block engine to the B rebuild. So it would cost me less but if I was starting from "scratch" the costs I state would be my cost. I built that B block and it is in my car and working good.

New block, new crank that is 100% weighted, 5 mains, full oil pressure to all journals, 5 journal cam support and 2" insert bearings. These are all valuable and are things I did not get with the B build.

I needed another engine that I wanted to deliver 80 to 100 hp for a current build. I have been on the list for one of the Burtz blocks for sometime now. I ordered one of the blocks as soon as they would take an order.

I realize it is not inexpensive to build up one of these engines.
IMO: I considered it well worth the investment.

I sent my funds in last week for one of the engine kits. I expect I should get delivery soon.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 03-10-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote