View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #247
40 Deluxe

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneBob View Post
Synchro, I was told some of the blocks are discarded because the cam bearing holes or the lifter bores are worn too far out of round. I was a little surprised that the non-cracked but very worn blocks were not sleeved or otherwise salvaged. Of course, I am not the one trying to salvage these either. Maybe is is a losing proposition to try to sleeve or use oversize replacement parts? Maybe there are not lifters that are over-sized enough?
I was hoping someone would correct me and tell everyone that someone is making original spec blocks.
My only disappointment with the Burtz effort is that they are all made in China. I was hoping he could find a foundry in the midwest that would take this on.
An earlier post suggested that the engines should be made to reduce vibrations; 5 mains, a truly balanced crank, updated pressure oiling and more modern rotating assemblies should go a long way to making a smoother running 4 banger. Beyond that, I think you need to swap out to a modern engine, but what's the fun in that?

Regarding a foundry, don't you think Terry has checked high and low for one? Sometimes you just have to face reality!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote