View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 09:51 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: 1936 ford diff gear change

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29delivery View Post
Hi Guys,I'm planning a ring and pinion change in a 36 ford and wondering about any special tools I may need, Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
did that not too long ago. what gears are you going to use? remember the splines on the drive shaft and the pinion are different requiring an adapter. we bored out and installed a drive shaft coupling into the original hollow 36 drive shaft. since we still have the 21 stud engine we went from 4:11 to 3:78--we talked about a 3:54 but decided against it because we have hills and the owner really did not want to go that fast anyway!
I'm thinking the other guys have covered everything necessary on special tools, but would just like to mention that I rebuilt the rear in my '35 fordor sedan last summer using 3.54 gears with 6 spline pinion. I used the original '35/'36 tubular type driveshaft, and bored the ID of the 10 splined bung on pinion end to provide a press fit with a stock 6 to 6 spline coupling. We milled two openings thru to the ID, 180° apart, on the 10 splined bung, about 1/4" back from the original weld holding the bung to shaft tube, prior to pressing the 6 to 6 spline coupling in place. After the coupling was pressed in place, we welded the 6 to 6 spline couplings in place thru those two milled slots, while keeping the pin holes in the coupling and bung aligned. This locks the 6 spline coupling in place and prevents damaging/distorting at the begining of the splines if attempting to weld there.
We rebuilt the transmission using the later, '39 - '48 improved syncro gears with a 29 tooth cluster gear and an input shaft with a 15 tooth gear. This combination of trans and rear gears gives very smooth acceleration off the line in first gear, without the need to slip the clutch to get moving.
I'm also running a '35 21 stud engine, with poured babbitt mains, 0.030" over bore, and milled cast iron heads. I have no problems crossing over the mountains of Maryland, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania in high/3rd gear. With this combination, I like the 3.54 rear gears, much better than the 3.78 gears that were previously used in this car.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-16-2020 at 11:30 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote