View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #108
Kube

Default Re: Rare '40 convertible restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37fatfender View Post
Kube, Beautiful work! My question is in regards to the frame vs the body. I have tinkered with replacing sheet metal panels over the years, but it escapes me on how you would restore 10 guage steel frame rails. This era Ford frame is notorious for having rust between the riveted rails especially in the "S" bend at the rear of the frame. I saw your beginning photos so I am sure there was some rust. Do you remove all the rivets and reassemble the frame? What paint do you use to paint your frames?
This particular frame had rot directly beneath the battery box. After cutting back to solid metal and removing any necessary rivets, I butt weld in a piece of steel of the exact same thickness of the adjoining frame area.

I did have to replace a piece in that "S" bend you'd referred to a past restoration. I use the same method as anywhere else on a frame - cut out the offending area, remove rivets as necessary and butt weld in steel of the same thickness. This area is difficult to do as you know.

I use single stage paint on the frames for the finish coat. For the prep, etching primer and primer (of course) followed by (too) many hours of wet sanding.