View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #14
Mister Moose

Default Re: Model A's & Airplanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
As I recall the conversation, It was in spring and the weather was much warmer. Taking off earlier when the air was cooler and denser was the only solution. I remember something else odd about the the plane, It was built by Piper, but the gauges were all marked Taylor. Taylor had been flooded or something and had sold everything to Piper. As I recall, the J 2 was originally a Taylor, not Piper.
Terry
I hadn't known that, it's all on Wikipedia. Taylor went bankrupt and sold all assets to Piper. The flood you're thinking of was likely the Lock Haven flood that ended production there. Piper had already moved most lines to Vero Beach, and several models such as the Comanche and Twin Comanche were suspended from the flood damage, never to be built again.

Interesting that the Apache was the next aircraft after the cub family, and I have probably 200 hours in a 180 Apache. Steel tubing running up through the glareshield probably came from Cub tubular design. Never made that connection before. Also didn't know that Piper made a light twin before ever making a retractable single.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote