Thread: fuel pump 59ab
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #12
G.M.

Default Re: fuel pump 59ab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
Thanks Fibber, I'll check with my Napa place Monday, we'll see if he's smart enough to look that up on his puter Walt
A slightly higher COLD fuel pressure is better than a lower pressure with todays gas. I like it in the 4.0 to 4.5 range cold and as the pump heats the pressure drops to say 3.5. This gas boils in the 125 degree F range and the hotter it gets the lower the pressure gets and you get vapor lock. When real hot you will see the pressure get down in the 2 lb range and start jumping up and down in pressure. With a slightly higher pressure it will usually pump through the problem before it starts. Cooler areas in the country may never or vary rarely have this problem. I live where it's over 80 degrees most of the year with times of well over 90 for long periods. I have done MANY tests under the same conditions under this heat condition and the results are predictable. I might add I use the double ball check valves available from Uncle Max to control carb float level. This type valve is very pressure sensitive and constantly opens and closes very slightly maintaining a fuel level the eye can not see change. Any one making or rebuilding pumps is or should be using material compatible with todays fuels and most additives. G.M.