View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
Paul in Colorado

Default Re: the history of your car ???????

My Town sedan has an interesting history, which I have written up below. It was won as a door prize at the Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restorers Club swap meet on February 4, 1968. The swap meet is still going on, and will be on February 4 again this year. I wonder if they still have door prizes which are this valuable.

Is there anyone from Kalamazoo (or elsewhere) who remembers this car? If so, I would love to hear from you and maybe learn some more details about the car's history, such as the specific work which was done. I am currently replacing the engine with a rebuilt one, which cost me much less than rebuilding the original. I will keep the original engine, which is rebuildable, for the next owner.

Paul

TOWN SEDAN HISTORY
By Paul Scherer
My 1930 Town Sedan, Model 155C, Serial Number A2746427, was originally purchased in early 1930 by Mr. Herman Cook of Kalamazoo, Michigan. It served him faithfully for 22 years. In 1952 he sold it to Mr. Elza Osborn, an old time friend and excellent mechanic. Mr. Osborn kept it running until 1957, when he put it up on blocks at his wife’s request. The neighbor ladies thought Mrs. Osborn was getting snooty, or at least they got tired of looking up to her as the Osborns drove by.
On October 16, 1967, the Town Sedan was purchased by the Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restorers Club for $250. It was restored by the Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restorers Club. The club newsletter for January 1968 states that:
“The car was stripped and transformed into a very desirable antique vehicle. Many club members helped in the restoration by sanding, grinding, painting, rebuilding and replacing parts. All chrome has been refinished; the steering gear sector, generator, and starter have been rebuilt, new spring shackles and wiring installed, and complete new upholstery and top have been fabricated. The car looks resplendent in its Ford maroon and black lacquer paint. The red wheels offer a pleasing contrast in color.”
My Arvada next door neighbors, Joe and Rebecca Balog, lived in Mishawaka Indiana during the 1960s and were very involved with hot rods. On February 4, 1968 they took a friend, Richard Ewald, with them to a swap meet held by the Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restorers Club in Kalamazoo. There was a $1.00 admission fee. When they went to buy their tickets, Rebecca told Richard to go first, since he was their guest. In the middle of the afternoon, there was a drawing for the door prize. Richard won the door prize, which was the restored Town Sedan. He drove it home to Mishawaka, but probably drove it no more than 100 miles after that. He did run it occasionally, and changed the oil and greased it. It was always garaged. Joe Balog told me about it in 2005, and said that Richard was considering selling it. I talked to Richard and we agreed on a price. Joe Balog and I borrowed a trailer and went to get it in October of 2005. I got it running after replacing a condenser, and we brought it home.
After bringing it home, I found that the body and interior are in very good shape, except for some minor moth holes. The wood appears to be sound, without any rot. The Kalamazoo club did a good job in these areas. However, I have had to completely rebuild the front end and brakes. The kingpins were very loose, and the brakes were in very poor shape. It now has cast iron drums with Flathead Ted’s floaters. The club apparently did nothing in these areas. I don’t think they did anything with the drive train either, but the engine runs fairly well and the transmission and rear end are quiet. One unusual feature is that it has a Northeast speedometer with no trip odometer, and the instrument panel does not have the usual notch for the trip odometer knob. I had it back on the road the following Spring, just in time for driving season. I alternate driving it with my 1930 coupe, and it is sometimes in parades with my son driving the coupe. I am only the fourth owner (not counting the club), and enjoy knowing the past history of the car.
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote