View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 12:30 AM   #19
hardtimes

Default Re: Anyone heard from TOD lately about casting a new block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I've seen the Kirby design and I don't think it is something that could be easily produced at an affordable price . . . the cylinder setup is just too goofy. I'm not going to comment on how "I would have done it" - but the design is not viable in my eyes and I'm sure that is one of the reasons that he and/or Shadow Rods never brought it to market. There would not be any volume for it, it can't be sanctioned in racing and the cost of a fully built engine would be just too high - to sell enough of them to ever make a profit.

That is the general problem in anybody trying to make a flathead block . . . how many could you possibly sell . . . for what price?

There is probably no economic justification to do it - other than maybe somebody like Tod who is already doing a lot of this goofy vintage stuff, has foundry experience, may make his own foundry, etc.. Damn near has to be a very small, super-talented and unique situation/setup for it to have any chance to work. With that said, boy would I like a 3.5" bore, aluminum block with improved flow and replaceable liners . . . would be the "cats ass". LOL
There’s a LOT to chew on in what you have said !
First, regarding “sanctioning”. You could make. an A/B block...to perfection. That is even FORD himself couldn’t tell it from his own creation. Such a block wouldn’t be legal to run in ANY sanctioned event, I. e.- hill climbs; salt races.
Ton of $$$$ to what ??, to make a good ‘ touring’ engine, unhuh !!
Second , you want an aluminum banger block, with sleeves !
What for/use ? After the FIRST 3 main alum blk pour...years (4/5) ago, problems. I gave in. Maybe you could get this one, as I paid for best sleeves.
Anyway, he was pioneer, and as such encountered the things that alum blk can have.
Still, other wt to power ratio, no sanctioning, oh and being one of one, I couldn’t think of any reason to hang around for .... when ??

If you guys are serious about a guy being serious about building iron banger blks, check out the model A side for the name/threads of TERRY BURTZ.
He has an interesting thing going on with modern metals, 5 mains and entire kit type A/B blk; crank , rods, blk etc, etc. worth the read, IMO.
STILL NOT SANCTIONED THO.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote