View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #13
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Help with radiator cap spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
I agree with Jackson. Re-torque your head. It won't hurt a thing to do so. You can not torque your head too many times... you can only torque it too much. Keep it at 55 lbs.

Even if your head does happen to be leaking your radiator cap should seal tight enough not to allow water to escape. It should only go out the overflow tube. At a minimum you've got a radiator cap gasket seal issue. Perhaps cutting an additional gasket out of a thinner material to supplement the gasket already in place. There are different thicknesses of cork gasket material available at most auto parts stores.
I agree as well.

its not an impeller issue - if it was sitting in neutral and revving the engine would cause it to spray - it needs the extra load (creates heat and pressure building) to blast into the water jacket to spurt out as your experiencing.

since you have a re-cored radiator unless its plugged up again with debris breaking free from the block id say you got a head sealing issue.

Yes if the radiator is plumb full it will come out and find its own level BUT it should for sure cover the tubes.

Check head nut torque to make sure its to spec and if you did have to snug a few up give it another drive and see what she does.

IF it still does it the easy way to find out is to get the engine warm, then do a leak down test with the radiator cap off. I bet it will behave like a geyser when you find the leaky offender cyl.