Thread: Re Insurance
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
Jim/GA

Default Re: Re Insurance

You are correct about the risk to any member that volunteers to be an officer or a director of a local club. If there is an incident, they will be sued for negligence and their personal assets are at risk. I know of several examples. The normal practice is to name everyone in the lawsuit and then let the courts figure out who may or may not have been negligent. Even if innocent, it is an expensive process to get extricated from.

I belong to 2 local clubs.

One requires all officers and directors to belong to both MARC and MAFCA, so that there is no doubt that they are covered by the national clubs' Directors & Officers Liability Insurance. They only require the rest of the membership to belong to one of the two club (but encourage membership in both). They do not purchase any additional liability insurance.

The other club requires all members belong to MAFCA, period. That keeps paperwork simple. You are free to also join MARC if you want to, and most do. They do not purchase any additional liability insurance.

If you properly enforce membership requirements, I don't think you need to purchase additional liability insurance for your Directors & Officers. That's why the national clubs provide it to the local clubs. But you do need to fully understand the policies that they have, what is covered, what is not. Liability for actions while driving an old car are not covered by them. Negligence in planning or executing an activity (tour, picnic, etc.) is supposed to be covered.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)