View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #175
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

Got 39 LZ out today, started early and replaced several more items on list, looked around and it was 11:30 and still 45 degrees outside. Started car and took to house to get lunch, after lunch I went out and started car planning on driving about 16 miles to friends house in the 39. Started car and went about 25 feet and it sounded like the bottom fell out of motor. I immediately turned of engine, started up again, no sound, gave the car a little gas and the noise started again and stopped, drove car slowly to garage, got out and no sound, moved carb linkage and the noise was fan hitting the front of distributor !!!!!??? Stopped engine and the fan blades were separated from the hub on front of engine, now what was up with this. Looked in my chassis parts book that I purchased but no drawings, felt around and could not find any way to attach the blade back to hub. THEN I thought I will call Ken in Alabama to see if he had a answer for what I had broken. He answered and told me that the fan blade assembly was held to front of balancer with three special bolts on back of balancer assembly. I found them, but did I have to remove the radiator to get off, first a pause and no was answer. ( I dodged a bullet there ) I asked why fan was loose and hitting the distributor, found out from him fan blades were pressed on a rubber sleeve/extrusion and not found any where. So I removed fan and will weld fan blade assembly to the hub for a quick fix. I did drive car to friends without fan after this but it was now 3:00PM, cool out and did not have any problem until I talked to long with engine running and it got hot, cooled down as soon as I drove on highway.
Looking down on the fan and fan hub

Fan removed

Fan assembly removed from fan hub, just a press on and gave up after 75 years!!!

Car out in yard, photos are best at 20 plus feet
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote