View Single Post
Old 11-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
Joe K

Default Re: Model "B" Distributor

I'm kind of following the same trail - but mine for the Gordon-Smith compressor No. 2 I'm currently sourcing parts for.

Generally I have found that Model B distributors are not quite as scarce as hen's teeth - but they're certainly less than the Model A equivalent.

And - in picking out a good used one for rebuild, one wants to get one fairly complete as the shaft and parts of the centrifugal are seemingly not available. (One can buy springs from Renners as part of his "rebuild kit" which include a lot of part cross-overs from the Model A line.)

Not to say that Renners is not a source for the rest of it - but given his pricing structure, you'll pay dearly for the privilege. If he doesn't use those loose parts himself and make "high end" rebuilds for sale by him, he'll be getting that return value from YOU in the parts

There have been a couple of "core bodies" on Ebay for what I consider reasonable price, but are missing the shaft and centrifugal moving parts, as well as other parts. When they say "core" they mean CORE. But unless you can get the rest of it, a core is pretty worthless - and you'll spend more money outfitting the core piecemeal than to simply buy a more complete unit.

I think I'm pretty much done with Ebay on this item - but then again I'm pretty much done with Ebay on ANY item. Flea Markets and interested friends are a much more cost effective, and potentially rewarding in personal relationship source. Ebay has the advantage of supply, but the downside of "demand."

Funny. Recently Mallory centrifugal distributors for the Model B/A engine are MUCH more plentiful on Ebay. Must have been a fad back in the day.

Joe K