Thread: 1951 Ford 4dr
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 08:01 AM   #5
Gene1949

Default Re: 1951 Ford 4dr

I guess it's all about a goal (what YOU want the car to be). We've been at this car for 34 years and still haven't figured it out. The car had to look like some greasy hair kid from 1955 owned it and be easy to drive. Our goal [still] is to pack a bag and go a 1000 miles in a safe reliable old car that is a pleasure to drive at 70mph.

Every "slammed" car I've ever been in drove and rode like knurled dog sh!t. I'm sure there are exceptions, some out there with some real extensive/expensive mods.

We arrived at the Tubman solution to the suspension with a few different twists; after all FoMoCO used that suspension with variants up to the mid/late-70s. Anyways;
Ford Aerostar front springs, a complete front end rebuild, a "repurposed" HUGE 1978 Buick Century front swaybar, 14" radial tires on Lincoln Versailles wheels, lowering blocks on rebushed rear springs and threw away the Green book front end alignment specs.
On the front end alignment, I tried them all and it's almost as if Ford intentionally made the shoebox hard to drive.

I'm basically a "Chevy guy". IF you wanna "go there" the easiest/most cost effective solution is to mount the body on a standard length S-10 pickup. Very simple to do AND all the Monte Carlo SS stuff (and aftermarket) bolts right up. Choice of drivetrain including the LS family and trannys. I was headed there at one time until family/friends/acquaintances threatened some sort of sexual mutilation suffered on my part.

Having said that, We have a real bada** 69 Camaro RS/SS 396 with all the trick stuff (old school) [light flywheel and 4 speed etc etc]. Frame off restoration 20 years ago. It basically sits.
When we go somewhere in the summer or just run to town we use that little black Ford with a flathead.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote