View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #125
SeaSlugs

Default Re: What is your collector car Pet Peeve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Kelly View Post
My pet peeve: "Original Miles"

One often hears people mention that their car has only xxxx original miles. I suspect that they mean "actual" miles. If not.....can someone explain to me the difference between "original" miles and "unoriginal" miles or "aftermarket" miles?
well the way i always interpreted this was lets say for a 1974 car it has 27,000 original miles. To me that says the cars engine and body and interior havent been apart or restored and thats how it was found. Meaning as the car left the factory its done XXXX ammount of miles. Yes its technically not correct but i feel the term original is partially said in slang. much like a used car dealer saying $2700 is twenty seven hundred dollars. sounds better haha.

Its incredibly easy to roll back a speedometer and alot of people did once they rebuilt or replaced the engine with new this it may show 27K but its 27K on the rebuilt engine while the body has 120K miles...So when one says original miles id take that as it only has 27K miles and thats all its ever had on all components of the car.