View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #164
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there!!!

Thanks everyone for clutch adjustment rod info, replaced and drove car again yesterday, everything seems fine with clutch, BUT!!!!
I purchased a used 35/36 transmission in car temporarily that has 39 gears, ( transmission was done according to Van Pelt instructions ) I had no history of the use, drove car yesterday and it cries in 3rd gear. Called a very knowledgeable man on transmissions in our area and told him the symptoms about noise while accelerating and no noise will going down hill, he told me the bearings need replaced. That is story #1. Next, when I completely reworked the front and rear end I greased the leaf springs individually. (I have sent off shocks to have rebuilt.) With this information I have found the car is dangerous to drive! It is like driving a bouncing ball, I dropped air pressure to 25psi, but if you are driving up a hill ( which we have a lot of down here ) it gets bad wheel hop with just minor bad spots in asphalt. Next is if you go over any rise in pavement or off a bridge with bad approaches. It will launch you in to a bouncing recovery act, this is just a 35mph, having fun, but never had a car that is so uncontrollable with out shocks, to much grease I guess?Next I am taking tires, drums back off so I can reline all the brake shoes, found 4 sets with rivets, any thoughts about the bouncing ball car, let me know, Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote