View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 09:21 AM   #10
Mister Moose

Default Re: Undercarriage Detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
I would just sand the lumpy spots smooth, looking for cracks or holes, and if none are found, hit it with black enamel aerosol. I use Plasticote gloss black enamel aerosols. On the muffler I sand lightly, hit with phosphoric rust converter, wipe off with a wet rag when reacted, and then spray with black Plasticote BBQ paint.
I do this on a hoist every few months using a piece of hand held cardboard to stop overspray.
I just want the underside to look clean and neat, but not to pass a inspection, since we drive a lot on gravel roads so there are always chipped areas needing touching up.
Using a spray gun involves too much work, specially cleaning it afterwards. The aerosol is the work of minutes literally. I always finish by spraying inverted into a waste bin to clear paint from the nozzle so it is ready for action next time.
SAJ in NZ
I would expand this a little. Wipe down with solvent before sanding, you can drive grease into the sanding grooves, and that will cause issues with paint adhesion. Pay attention to fairing the edges of the lumpy chippy sections, new paint will highlight ridges. Wire wheels on a drill can also be effective. Wipe down again after sanding, orange peel is no fun, and you also want to provide an uninterrupted paint film for rust protection. Consider a primer coat. Don't obsess, as you said, it's a wear item for a driver.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote