View Single Post
Old 01-19-2023, 09:14 AM   #7
Robert/Texas

Default Re: Movie Cars...Have You Done It?

My '22 and '28 roadsters and '28 OCPU were used in the 3-part TV miniseries "A Women of Independent Means" starring and produced by Sally Fields in 1994. The film was made in the Houston area, and I brought the cars to the filming sites and was even filmed in a few clips. My father-in-law also ‘starred’ in several scenes. This was a wonderful, educational, and enjoyable experience.

Sally was seldom seen as she stayed in her trailer most of the time. I made friends with her actor husband, Jack Thompson, an Australian actor who spoke with an Australian or Texas drawl. The ’28 roadster was his car in the movie, and I taught him how to drive the Model A. I was with the cars except for one night when they made a plywood shell for the pickup bed to make it to look like a mail truck.

The food they prepared daily was plentiful and tasty. As I recall, I was paid $200 per day for each car plus extra money when I was used in the film. They paid extra if you had a speaking role, but I didn’t have any speaking part.

My only problem was that Sally put a minor scratch in the dash of the roadster with a picnic basket at Bud Adam’s ranch. The scratch is still there and makes for a good conversation piece. The filming was done primarily at the ranch, Houston, Galveston and briefly near Clear Lake. I drove the cars to these locations and had to remove the license plates before each filming.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote