View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 10:41 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 52 Ford Car Rear End Gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
When removing the pumpkin from a rear axle housing, I have found it best not to use a floorjack, because it can roll off easily unless you make some kind of special receiver for the pumpkin flange to sit in. I have always pulled myself directly under the center of the rear axle and pulled the pumpkin off, then lowered it down to my chest, then slowly roll it off on a couple layers of cardboard on the garage floor. Never sustained and damage to myself or pumpkin yet, but yes they are heavy.
BTW, have fun pulling those axle shaft seals out too. I've had professional seal pulling tools that wouldn't cut the mustard. Finally ended up making my own seal puller.
Get a piece of chain about 6 feet long. Put the two end links over two opposing axle lug studs (after running chain through something heavy like a flywheel) with flat washers and lug nuts. Stand back at chain's length, facing the axle, and repeatedly slam flywheel against chain. Make sure you spread your legs, 'cuz axle can suddenly eject from the housing and get ya! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote