Thread: Hot Driver
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 12:31 AM   #2
daveymc29

Default Re: Hot Driver

I bought a kit from a guy in Tx. Name is (Ed?) Davis. It went into my 31 coupe fine and we found the instructions on wiring a bit confusing so I went to a friend who has a unit in his car and found the reason is that the power is split so that only half of it goes through the ammeter. When we understood that part it went together fine. I opted to shorten the parking brake handle to give room for the evaporator I will eventually order an accessary release handle to use on it as it is about useless now. My friends unit was move toward the passenger side, 3 inches or so, and the mounting bracket was "let into"the evaporator to raise that part toward the dash for more foot room, something I would do next time.The cooling might not be as good in my car as it would be if I had been restoring the interior and a new top, but it is pretty good on those 100 degree days and I have noticed no robbing of power or increase in fuel use since the installation.Another bit that took some doing was to make changes to the mounting of the Compressor, alternator and drive belt so I could adjust the slack out of the pulley and not ruin my belt. Tomorrow I will try to find the number of the belt I used, which I bought locally. I will send that to you and a picture or two if you PM me your email address, My bride is a victim of scleroderma, the mummies decease, which has stolen her natural ability to control her body temperature. This has helped her to enjoy rides in the coupe on days which would have been denied her without the a/c unit. Cost was a little over $1100.00, plus I paid a shop to chase a and repair a leak (my fault) and fill the unit to specks. That was $250.00 and has held up for two summers so far. So all told, under $1500.00 and took me a couple of days of actual work. I did have a younger friend here the first day as he is much better than I on figuring out electrical things, Even so we did make a trip across town to see another installation and create a readable wiring diagram. Good Luck

Last edited by daveymc29; 11-10-2019 at 12:45 AM.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)