View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #14
Tom Endy

Default Re: Diff assembly coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res731 View Post
Hi Tom. When I took the pinion off I used one of the vendor wrenches for near the banjo and a large adjustable wrench on the outer one. That seemed to work to remove it at least

When you go to set the pre-load on the two pinion bearings, you will do it by adjusting the first nut to establish the pre-load, the second nut has to jam very tightly against the first nut to lock them in place. Sounds easy. Its not!

As you tighten the second nut it will alter the setting of the first nut. The trick is to get the two nuts jammed tightly together and have the correct pre-load. The pre-load is the same as the carrier, 20 inch pounds. My window of acceptance for both is between 14 and 22.

What I do is set the pre-load with the first nut to about 9-10 inch pounds and then tighten the second nut. It is trial and error effort. If you get it too tight you have to back off the nuts and tap the end of the drive shaft to loosen the bearings,

This is why it is important that the sleeve on the pinion be two dimensions. There should be .0015 difference. The first bearing should press on with an
interference fit. The second bearing should have the ability to move without too much effort. The originals are made that way. Some of the repos are not, and it best to have them machined or it will give you fits trying to set the pre-load.

The Ford service bulletins say to actually hammer the Ford factory wrenches to make sure they are tight. I am fortunate to have a set of Ford factory wrenches and that is what I do. They have long handles on them to give a lot of leverage.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote