View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Shut Off Valve Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
Determined the gas smell in the garage was the result of a leaky shut off valve which allowed the carb to leak. Any good/bad source for securing a new one ? Have heard that Bratton's are the best. Any special procedures for changing it out ? Welcome input.
Foreign sourced Fuel shutoffs are known to leak new out of box. I went through 2 of them before I learned from the forum to get them from Brattons, USA Made, 3 year warranty. Ordered one from them - fixed.

Most of the foreign sourced shutoffs factories do not clean machining debris out of them sufficiently before assembling them. The debris scores the ball used as the valve, it leaks, and typically is not repairable. The kits you see for repairs are primarily for the original design/old stock/NOS shutoffs, and do not typically work on present day shutoffs.

If you currently do not have a Fuel filter pencil filter in your shutoff , You should install one. It inserts into the top of the shutoff and sticks up into the tank. It keeps debris/rust out of the shutoff which ruins the shutoff, again scoring the ball used as a valve. This damage is not covered under the Brattons Warranty.

This also would be a good time to clean out your tank, especially the bottom.

Been through this myself, hope you do not mind unasked for advice.

W
hen you put it back in, wrap the threads with a single layer of plumber teflon tape.

When you drain the tank, and unscrew the valve out, make sure you use plasitc and a catch tray/pan under it, a cup to a half cup of gas will come out.

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 04-13-2019 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typos
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote