View Single Post
Old 05-27-2022, 08:03 PM   #1398
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Folks,
Spent half the day at the machine shop learning about the reworked "B" block, Known as engine number 1. This is the engine that was a reman block sent to Greenvile PA Montgomery Wards.
Tim Waid is in the pictures cleaning and doing some assembly work to teach me about the rear seal.

Head

The final honing station. He wanted to check the piston size compared to the bore. Basicaly .003 inch clearance:

The new thrust washers, bronze material, and the new replaceable bearings which replace the babbit material.

Rubber rear seal slipped over the end of the crank:

Pressure tested the block to 60PSI (normal pressure is near zero PSI):
Only very tiny air leak where he had to do a repair. It will not leak with water.

His window through the test plate to see his stitch repair work.

Tim set the new woodruff key and pressed on the new crank gear for me. Crank looks really good to me!

Crank mating up with the block for trial only. I have to do some fitting to get the new upper real seal, aluminum part, to set correctly in the block:

All components are back home. Much cleaning and then assembly can start when we get back from the V8 Club Eastern show.

I am tired just thinking about it! But looking forward to building this "B" engine for the ragged ol truck too.
By the way the crank spins very nice with the caps tightened down. The end thrust clearance is about .010 inches. I like the new rubber rear seal concept and the replaceable bearings with line boring through the block and caps. Took a while but should be a good engine for a long long time.

Tim Waid, Valley Machine Blooming Valley PA. He is very busy but can do Model A or B engine work and repairs. He does have a metal spray machine if needed.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 05-27-2022 at 08:21 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote