View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
Dave in Boise

Default Overheating thoughts?

Hi All,

Just finished a nice sptingtime run down the interstate (about 53 MPH for around 30 miles for part of it) and noticed something I really had not seen before.. My motometer was actually showing a litte red.. Well, it got redder and redder.. When it started getting into the "your engine is hot" range, I started to get a little concerned.. I cracked the Gav open about 1/4 -1/2 turn and noted it started to drop a bit.. I also moved the retard to total full advance as far down as it would go (was up about 2 detents maybe).. It did stay warm, and I noticed that at 48 or so the heat would level out a bit and drop, but running wide open at 53-55 it would start building a bit more heat than it would release..Ambient air temp was about 65 degrees or so..

Some details: Engine has about 600 miles on it, still pretty darn hard to turn over by hand, new water pump, 6 blade fan and running about 60/40 water/antifreeze. Ran very well all winter with hardly ever seeing any temp on the motometer.. Radiator flows very well, is a 10 fin and was just cleaned/degreased a few months ago.. No bubbles in the radiator when running and no steam out the tailpipe or leaks around the head. Standard engine build, no high compression head, but a b cam with hardened valves and seats. Engine timed and points are good, verified with a timing light after the run

Thoughts? Running hot due to newness of motor? Running the carb to lean?

Let me know what you think gang!

- Dave
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote