Thread: New Guy
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
Jim/GA

Default Re: New Guy

I agree with comments above, with a few exceptions (below).

The Tudor Sedan was the most popular body style when these cars were new. The door is a bit wider, which helps with getting in and out. Everyone sits comfortably inside, out of the wind and rain. Kids can't fall out if they sit in the back. And because they were the most popular body style made when the cars were new, there are a lot of them available today, which makes them about the most affordable model today (among cars in comparable condition).

Depending on your height and weight, there are a few models that you might want to avoid. The roadsters, phaetons and pickup tricks are all pretty tight to get into and to drive. If you are big around, you may be uncomfortable behind the wheel. In a Tudor Sedan you can move the seat back to get more room.

I have found that a good body style for a very tall person is the Slant Windshield Town Sedan. They are spacious and you can move the bench seat back pretty far, if needed.

Definitely test drive anything before buying. Make sure you can get your foot from gas to brake when the gear shift lever is in 1st gear position (the tightest spot).

My only other comment about the various body styles is that many of them (the Fordor Sedans, for sure, the Cabriolet, the DeLuxe Phaeton) have a LOT of wood inside the body with a metal skin over it. If this wood is at all rotten or not tight, it can be a very big restoration job. Look at the how well the doors line up to the body, look for sag in the body, look for signs of the wood not supporting the body well. These all warn you that the wood is no longer doing what it is supposed to do.

There's really no difference in mechanical maintenance between all the body styles, but body and wood integrity and the effort to restore them does vary.

Have fun, and welcome!

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote