View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #20
Corley

Default Re: Membership dropping, interest too???

Now taking this in a slightly different direction...

I currently have two model As in a stable of old iron. One is a restored 29 Tudor, the other a hot rodded 29 cc pickup. Hands down, the hot rodded pickup gets way more attention when out driving, than does the stock restored Tudor. People don't tend to notice the stock Tudor as much, but I get tons of thumbs up and comments about the pickup. It is very clear when looking at the pickup that it is a model A, but with a fancy face.

I also drive 3 different Studebaker's, a 54 starliner (hot rodded), a 63 Avanti, (stock), and a 62 Champ truck. Once again, the hot rod gets all the attention, and it is in crappy paint and primer, but it has a certain look, that people seem to like and comment on.

Does this mean we all should be driving hot rods? I don't think so, but I do think it means we should consider the hot rods our friends, as they help keep interest up in the old car community. I hate car shows, and only do one local club, but frankly that club is more of a social thing than for information or contacts. But, when driving in a line with them, they really only just 'tolorate' my hot rod 29 pickup, even though it often draws the most attention. That's OK, I rather like bringing up the rear, and stopping to help the stock As when they break down.

So what's my point? Not much, but I'll happily accept all those tools from the guy who has no family members interested in inheriting them, but he is only 75, and I am 78, so I may have to give him mine first. I hope he has a BIG trailer. Really, since none of my family shows any interest in mechanics, I don't care who gets this stuff when I expire.

PS. Based on the fun I have with my hot rods, I'm currently building a 26 T roadster hot rod! Who says I am too old for fun? (Sure hope I'll be able to crawl into it!)

PS. I ALWAYS do ALL my own mechanical work, on both the old cars and my moderns. That is my real fun!
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote