View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #1
Corley

Default Membership dropping, interest too???

It's very odd. The recent Studebaker Drivers rag has membership numbers for the last few years, broken out by states. Only a couple states have more members now than 4 years ago, and most states show a 5 to 10 percent drop in membership. So, if this is a good indication, one would expect that there is less interest in the old car hobby. However, prices seem to be up. Quite a bit up, in fact, judging by the for sale ads.

So I wonder if the cause of higher prices is caused by the investment players at the big auctions, the higher quality of restorations being performed, or just the general economy and cost of living. And, is this same trend showing up in the model A clubs and community?

This declining membership is a really big issue, as the knowledge goes away as each old person gives up the cars. It would seem there is not much interest among the younger folks, and few to carry on. This means fewer and fewer to pass the knowledge on to. Does anybody care? There are museums closing due to lack of interest and support, and only the wealthiest few can afford to purchase and hoard these cars, taking them out of public view.

Maybe I'm glad I'm old enough that I won't be around to see what's coming... Sad...
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote