View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #24
frnkeore

Default Re: Lathe with 3 Ford transmissions in Iowa

This is my SW #2 turret lathe. It is much smaller than the WWII #2 WS turrets and I've never seen another like it. I did some online searches to try to find out any info on and nothing came up.

You'll note, that the turret is on a cross side so, you can face with it and besides the lever to operate the turret, it also has a hand crank, on the rear for forward motion. That would allow to turn the OD of something, too.

It's very versatile but, I've not used, since I bought it in about 2000.

Three things regarding moving the 3 trans lathe.

1. They make machinery moving rollers, some have small diameter ball bearing wheels and some have something like a crawler track. I made mine (2) out of 2.5" diameter ball bearings, 3 per side. The bearing are bolted to a 6 x 3 piece of 3/8 think channel, with one side cut down to just clear the bearings. You slide that side under the machine.

They also make a set, that have handles on them and they swivel, to steer. Look around for a place to rent them.

2. I would first check in with the riggers in that area and get a quote on loading it. It's a very dangerous job, with something that tall.

3. It will fit on a 8K or 10K lb, 16 - 20 ft long equipment trailer. That will keep it low and easier to load and unload.

In 1978, I moved my tall but short L&S and my step father helped me. I had my rollers under the lathe. We were going over a seam in the cement and it stopped. He gave a push, off to the side a little. Over it went and hit my heavy, 16" drill press and knocked to through the wall, braking the taper attachment on the lathe but, not us.

Another quick story...... Two friends of mine, moved a modern, 14" lathe, in his shop. I offered to help them but, they said that they could handle it. They were using a floor jack on it and tipped it over. One of them, got his Femur broke and a 4", gash, the other (owner of it) just got a big gash in his leg but, nothing broken.

BE CAREFUL!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS #2.jpg (37.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg WS #2a.JPG (143.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg WS #2b.jpg (40.7 KB, 52 views)
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote