Thread: Cam Gear
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #10
fredski53

Default Re: Cam Gear

Ok, I guess I should have explained more! I had the engine completely overhauled 18 months ago by one of the Vendors that advertise in the Restorer. Ever since I installed the engine there has been a LOUD KNOCKING when I take my foot off gas pedal to slow down, that is when I hear a loud knocking! I talked to the engine builder and he keeps saying there is too much timing. I've adjusted the timing and the knock is still there. Now, last week at our club meeting, one member mentioned that he had this engine overhauled at the same place and he is having the same noise problem! He took off the inspection cover and there are teeth missing on the fiber cam gear! He called the builder and the builder said they had a bunch of problems with the cam gear they used a few years ago! Now, I haven't call the builder, im not really happy with the work that was done. I just want the engine to run properly. I'm going to remove the inspection cover and see what condition the cam gear is in. I thought I would order a replacement gear, but I didn't realize there are oversized cam gears! So, if the gear is damaged, I'll end up calling the builder anyway, and see what he recommends.
fredski53 is offline   Reply With Quote